Print donations and sales
Because of our historical focus we come into contact with family members of artists. This has led to the acquisition by us of several print estates. Previously we acquired the print estate of Charles William Dahlgreen (1864-1955) and subsequently donated the body of work to a dozen museums around the country.
Lawton Parker (1868-1953) was our next acquisition where we purchased the entire body of remaining prints, discovered in 1976 in a storage shed, along with his drawings. The first selection of these works went to Beloit College where Parker had founded the school of fine arts. Later other prestigious institutional print collections were recipients of our donations. In fact, we are still donating his drawings after years of study, cataloging and identification.
We acquired the pen/ink drawings used for over sixty newspaper political cartoons by Harold R. Heaton (? - c.1940) who began his career at the Chicago Tribune as its first employed artist/illustrator and cartoonist c.1885. This body of work was donated to the Newberry Library in Chicago.
Letterio Calapai (1902-1993) is another of our projects for donation. We have purchased some 5,000 works by the artist who started his career in New York and spent the last half of his career in Illinois.
To sustain some of our activites we have sold prints through commercial dealers; otherwise the vast majority are donated to deserving institutions.